Saturday, April 28, 2018

Chasing Earth: Chapter One, As Promised!

Good Evening, My Lovely Readers!πŸ’•

....You ready?? Here is Chapter One of Chasing Earth (coming June-ish 2018). Be forewarned, this is unedited (Look away, Eagle! Look away!! πŸ˜„πŸ˜œ). It's about 1/3 of the way finished right now and I am just loving it so far 😍 Feel free to post your comments/thoughts/feedback below.

And away we go!


Chapter One:
Tori slowly pried her eyes open; the pain had finally stopped. Thank Gaia.

Something told her she’d been down a while and she felt disoriented as she looked about the room, noting the soft sounds of medical equipment nearby. This wasn’t the same one she remembered. It was bigger, with a full-length glass wall, sealed alloy doors and soft lighting. She frowned, trying to push herself up, surprised by how weak she was. Why had they moved her?

Then Tori remembered and gasped, reaching up to touch her eyelids.

“Welcome back, Doctor. How do you feel? Please, don’t tax yourself.” The voice startled her. It wasn’t one she recognized. The man stood on the other side of the glass, the brighter illumination high-lighting his features.

“I’m Dr. Yin.”

He looked older, dark hair graying at his temples.

“What’s going on? How long have I been out?” Tori asked, struggling to sit up, her voice low and rasping.

“You’ve been in and out of consciousness for three days. And we’re still trying to figure that out. Though, we were somewhat prepared for the scenario.”

Tori closed her eyes and touched her forehead. “I don’t understand. My eyes…”.

“Yes, your eyes are the most telling symptom. But be assured, we’re running every test imaginable. The alien covering did make things more difficult, but we were able to get you to drink at least.” Tori looked down at Henry and fingered the material. It pulsed softly back at her. The thought they hadn’t been able to stick an IV scared her.

“Would someone please just tell me plainly, what’s going on?” She said, growing more alarmed by the second.

As if on cue, Wells entered. “Ah, you’re awake. How are you feeling?” He said brightly.

“Confused. Afraid. Annoyed. All of the above.” She answered testily. “What’s wrong with me?”

Wells sighed. “We were hoping you could tell us that, Doctor.” He said, staring her down. Tori blinked.

“Did you really think we wouldn’t know?”

She felt her stomach drop and her fingers curled into the bedding. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She murmured.

“Oh, come now. We had you more closely monitored than any human being in history. Vid, audio. Hell, even remote viewing. If you believe in that sort of thing.” He added, brow puckering.

Remote viewing. Like ESP? Then Tori realized what he said. “You had the feeds running even when you said you’d turned them off.” She voiced torpidly.

“Of course, we did.” His tone was scolding, as if she were a child.

“That’s … not right.”

“This is the real world, Dr. Davis. Earth governments don’t deal in chance, or courtesy, or fair play when it comes to the safety and security of our planet and its people.”

“They won’t be happy you’ve been deceiving them.” She said evenly, her indignation coming through as she thought of Aderus, surprised that she felt more upset for him and the others than for herself.

“If they don’t already know then they’re not nearly as advanced or intelligent as we thought they were. And I hardly think spying on your romantic tryst is cause for concern. What should concern you, however, is that you seem to have been infected with some type of alien virus.”

“What?” Her heart skipped at his words.

“We’ve brought in experts in genetics and virology, and as best we can tell, you’ve been altered on a molecular level.” Tori stared at him dumbly. “Your DNA, Doctor. The changes are slight but they’re there.”

Her eyes. They resembled Askari eyes… more like a cross between the two, actually. But a virus? Altered DNA? She felt her heart pick up as she struggled not to panic. What the hell had she gotten herself into?

“We need you to remain calm.” She heard Yin say soothingly. “We’re still analyzing data, gathering information. Which will be much easier now that you’re awake.”

Tori swallowed and looked down at her hands, then gingerly felt her face. Everything seemed normal, felt normal. Try not to overreact, she thought, fighting to calm herself… until there’s cause to.

“Okay.” She said, licking her lips and looking at them. “I feel fine. Better than I did. The pain is gone.”

“That’s good.” Dr. Yin replied. “It was most likely the virus asserting itself. There are no detrimental effects we’ve been able to detect, yet. Your eyes are really the only telling feature.”

Tori fingered her lids again. Goddess, this was terrifying. Three days? Her brain immediately latched onto the one person whom her world seemed to suddenly revolve around.



***



Aderus waited at the gate to the Earth vessel, Jadar and Xaphan by his side. He had asked the healer to join him because he was the most level-headed among them. And he chose Xaphan, precisely because he was not. It had been three sols since they had seen the little khurzha, and with each one that passed, he grew more restless…

Something had happened; the feeling was visceral and surprisingly strong. The humans had been rebuffing him each time, their attempts to explain away her absence only increasing his suspicions. They had said she wasn’t feeling well and needed rest, asked if his kind ever got sick or "caught viruses". Then Wells approached him about giving his blood for them to study. Of course, he’d refused. But Aderus didn’t like the sense he got. As if the diplomat knew something he sought to hold over him.

It had all made him irritated and peevish, and he forcibly clicked his claws as they waited for the Earthers.

The gates parted, and Aderus’s sharp gold eyes locked onto the group facing them. His snout twitched. The number of human guards had increased and more wearing the coverings that Tori sometimes donned were also present.

“Representatives Aderus, Jadar.” Wells said, looking at them with a smile that didn’t touch his half-colorless orbs. The gesture was unique to humans but Aderus could now recognize when it was genuine, and when it was not.

“Erm, Xaphan, is it?” He said, glancing toward the scarred male.

Xaphan raised his lip in a silent show of teeth and the flesh of Wells’ face grew pallid.

“If you’ll follow me.”

The group led them to a bright corridor inside the Earth vessel and stopped in front of a large transparent barrier. The connecting chamber was dim, so Aderus had not noticed movement at first. But when his eyes caught on the small figure he started, ears pushing forward. Tori was turned away from them, sitting on what Earthers called a bed. It looked like she fiddled with something in front of her. Food or drink, he realized, as he watched her raise it to her mouth. A small feeling of relief stole over him at seeing she wore the havat. It would have protected her from his worst imaginings.

She looked up as more humans filed in behind them and her slight, overly expressive features came alive when she saw him. She dropped her foodthings and pushed herself up but halted when her gaze found the others, the expression dropping from her face. Aderus looked to them; he would know what had happened, he vowed.

“Aderus.” Her soft mono-tone voice drew his gaze back. She had stepped up to the barrier and was staring up at him…

His limbs stiffened, and his nostrils puffed, even as his breathing went still.

***

Tori watched Aderus react. His tresses flattened against his head and his irises dilated. Yeah, that was about her same reaction too. His apparent shock helped to dispel her greatest worry- that he had knowingly infected her with something. She hadn’t wanted to believe that, but it needed to be ruled out. Or so said the handful of doctors and scientists that were now diligently studying “the phenomenon”. She, was a phenomenon.

She jumped when he stepped forward, clawed fingers thumping against the glass. He rumbled something in Askari, which is when she noticed Jadar and Xaphan. She slowly raised her hand to the cool, hard surface, opposite his, and met his gaze.

“I’m okay.” She said with a small smile. “Just, shocked and a little afraid.” Not to mention embarrassed. She’d just assumed that because they were so advanced, there was nothing to worry about in that capacity. Communicable diseases were extremely rare anymore, if that’s in fact how she’d contracted it.

Her focus moved to Jadar and Xaphan as they too stepped forward, their nostrils flaring as if they could smell her through the glass.

“Now that we’re all reacquainted...” Wells said, interrupting them. “Ah, good.” He added, looking down the corridor.

A woman with dark hair rushed up to him moments later. She was about Tori’s height, shapely. “Sorry, I’m late!” She breathed, pushing a stray curl back from her face. Tori looked between them, wondering what was going on.

“This is Dr. Kemina Perez.” Wells said. “She’s one of our experts.”

Tori stared at the pair of black-rimmed glasses that sat atop the other woman’s nose. Her grandmother used to wear glasses to read, but it was something rarely seen anymore. Tori frowned, wondering what would necessitate them.

Hola.” The other woman waved and looked around nervously. Tori could tell it was the first time she’d interacted with the Askari; they definitely had that effect on a person. Her gaze kept fixing on them, as if in awe, but also not daring to stare. Aderus had stepped back from the glass and was looking toward the newcomer as well.

“Em, I’ll get right to the point.” She continued, a slight quiver in her voice. “As of right now, she doesn’t seem to be contagious. Other than potentially, blood to blood contact. We haven’t detected any detrimental effects, but it’s definitely not from Earth. I would… need a blood sample from the original vectors.” She said, looking to Jadar and Xaphan.

Dr. Perez jumped when the scarred male hissed, flashing both sets of teeth.

“I’m sure we can work something out.” Wells interrupted smoothly. “Though, ideally, it would be the individual who likely infected her to give the sample.” He added, looking meaningfully to Aderus.

“Ideally.” Perez seconded. “We need to see the virus in its original environment to help us know what to expect in a human host, as well as how it might mutate or spread. Though, like I said, right now Dr. Davis is stable.” She said, looking to Tori with a small smile.

Jadar said something clipped and the air grew heavy as the three of them communicated in that way unique to their kind.

“Has this ever happened before? To another species you interact with?” Tori asked through the glass, looking up at Aderus. She didn’t want to force them to do anything they were uncomfortable with, and understood the type of vulnerabilities it could expose, but Tori also didn’t want to die a horrible death or suffer some painful deformity. Who knew what could happen with this thing in her body.

Aderus stared down at her. “Their technologies prevent such things.” He rumbled then grew quiet, calculating.

“Your expert can gain the information she seeks aboard our vessel”, he finally said, pinning Wells with a molten look.

Wait. Did he mean what she thought he meant? Holy Goddess, she had started to wonder if she’d ever see the day!! Aderus had curled his lip when she’d suggested he was a diplomat, but a tiny ribbon of pride tickled her chest at his words. It meant they could take control of the situation, while also appeasing Earth’s endless demands for allowing other people aboard their vessel.

Wells eyes flared in triumph, but it was quickly masked. “And if we still need a sample?”

He jerked when Xaphan let loose a snarled, clicking growl.

.....To be continued

Chasing Earth by J.M. Link
Copyright 2018, J.M. Link
All rights reserved.

42 comments:

  1. Exellent first chapter! Can’t wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um ok, gonna fiend for this until it's out! Amazing JM!!!!! Omg can't wait!!! (Still haven't come up with a codeword yet!) I'll just squee and fangirl so you know who I am :D *squees* *fangirls*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for the next book is torturous, thank you for this chapter, it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so, so so sosooooooo excited for this to release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait for this book have so many questions running thew head. Like is this so called virus a way that tori's body is adapting to be able to carry a child or something else....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it already has my hooked! Can't wait until June. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really looking forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noooooooooooooooo......I need moooooooore!!!! Dear Lord... is it June already?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Is it possible to die of anticipation!? I hope this very talented author is not put off by demands from her fans. We are hungry for your work of art and therefore, a bit greedy in demand. #trying hard for patience but sadly lacking ❤

      Delete
  9. OMG I can't wait!!!!!!! Work faster =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing and exciting first book! Can't wait for the next one to be finished...great plot and story line!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOh ...just finished the first book and can't wait! Excellent start to a new series. Share the word on Goodreads people! This one is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey All! Aw, thank you <3 :):) I'm excited that YOU'RE so excited LOL. I just love it. Working hard, I promise, especially since I know how popular cliffhangers are *not*. No more of those, I can tell you (will be putting a note at the beginning of Chasing Earth about it). I honestly did not expect Askara to gain popularity so quickly! But I was just able to cut back at my PT job (yay) so: Eat, sleep, write, repeat!! Working with my designer on the cover now. Cannot wait to post it here :D Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have plans in future to have both parts 1 and 2 of this book to come out in print? I LOVE readers but keep all my favorite books in paperback as well if i can find them. I would love to buy the full complete book in paperback one day!!

      Delete
    2. I do the same and second this if possible. I already bought the first one in paperback and am hoping the second one has that option too.

      Delete
    3. I couldn't find the first in paperback. :( Where did you get yours? I'm down for having part one and part two separate just to have a hard copy

      Delete
    4. Hi Guys! Askara is (should be...yup! Just checked Amazon) available in print. Yes, I do plan to release Chasing Earth (Part II) in print too :):) But Ooo, that's a great idea. Yes, I do think I'd eventually like to combine them into one big print book ;) I'd have to look into the details of that first though and it probably wouldn't be till the end of this year, but thank you for the suggestion!! And for showing the print version(s) some love <3 <3 Ahhh, real books. ...remember when you actually had to go into B&N and walk of shame it to the romance aisle? LOL *Discreetly* (yeah, right) browsing covers with swooning damsels and bulging man meat? Good times. Especially if the cashier was cute... Bring on the blushing ;D

      Delete
    5. Hahaha! Yes thank God for Amazon!! I'm so excited for part two your book is amazing! And I loved how it wasnt instalove and it had so many cultural aspects to it really made it feel realistic. Wonderful wonderful book!

      Delete
  13. I've been kind of blah about reading lately, but keep trying to find something to catch my attention. Well, you did it. And now I have to wait. I hate waiting. *sigh* Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I juat finished the first book in the series. I have had such a hard time finding a book that honestly had all the feels and twists and turns and of course romance that I love! Absolutely amazing!! Cannot wait for the second book to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So freaking excited keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg can't wait for this to be released.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can’t wait, thx for the teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! very realistic , It's the best novel I've read in recent times. I recommend reading, and I look forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been a little burnt out on sci fi romances because the aliens weren’t well... alien enough! That is until I read your book and WOW just what I needed. I can’t wait to read the next book and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Waiting...semi-patiently. Really looking forward to part 2. Thanks for sharing the 1st chapter to hold me over for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I devoured the first book in one night. I am so singularly impressed and waiting with baited breath for the next one! I wish you nothing but success and look forward to all your future work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sooo....it is June and I was wondering if you had any hints about the date? I need this book like only a mom facing summer with four kids can! Thanks for this chapter and sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nooo..... It was just getting exciting πŸ˜­πŸ˜€ can't wait. It looks like you'll be one of my instant buy authors.😜 can't wait for ur book to be done. Awsome work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much you guys!! <3 Your wonderful comments just make my darn day lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just re read book 1 a and this chapter again. Every time I read them i call a little more in love with your writing JM. I know how hard it is to produce a finished book and I just want to say thank you! I know you're working your ads off with all the editing, re writes, beta readers MORE re writes...ect... And I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Cassandra XO (LOL). You're so sweet <3 This whole thing has been an absolute dream and I could not be happier! But I'm realizing there are the peeps that get it and the peeps that won't. The work invovled, that is. And hey, nothing but love all around. But even some of my fam still think I went off the deep end and "retired" early LMAO... "I don't understand Dear, why can't you just write your books 'on the side'. You need a full time job." Smh. If they only knew ;);)

      Delete
  26. Just read your book and I'm so hooked! I have a feeling that this whole series is going to be epic!! Saving Askara was so beautifully written!!! I'm dying to start Chasing Earth. Do you have a release date yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leeanna! Thank you!! <3<3 I have big plans for the series too, hehe ;) I don't have a definite date but I'm shooting for the last couple days in August. I'm one of those last minute perfectionists that has to go through and obsess over every little detail LOL so I don't want to name a date, just in case. Rest assured though, you should have it for Labor Day weekend :D

      Delete
    2. I understand that completely, you just can't rush the greatness. LOL

      With that being said, I'm really jonesing for my next fix!! The more I think about your book, the more and more in love I fall. Your characters and your world building have so much depth.

      I've got over 4,000 books in my library and I've got to say, your book is one of my favorite scifi romances.

      My only problem is going to be waiting for your release dates!!!

      oh and one more question... what is this series called? I didn't see that information on amazon or goodreads...

      Delete
    3. Thank you Leeanna! <3 Wow *grinning like a fool* I am so flattered ;) And ugh, I know. I get frustrated with myself sometimes, wishing I could write faster!! As I'm reading your comment I'm like, omg, I forgot to give the series a name LOL. I actually had a name, but took it down after a negative comment on Goodreads, and the more I think on it, it was probably a good thing because I'm feeling I'd like something a little more unique/creative....hmmm.

      Delete
  27. Just finished book 1 again. Must know more about Tannin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cassandra! :D I gotchya covered *eyebrow wag* ;) lol

      Delete
  28. I like Tori's character and I love Saving Askara, I already want to read the following books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, and thank you! I'm so glad you loved SA <3 More books are definitely in the making :)

      Delete

Comments are always welcome! They just come to my email first for approval ;)

Patreon Launch

I am so pleased to announce that the Patreon Page is now LIVE ❣  everybody! For all of you that have been asking and messaging, I've re...